Our body produces energy mainly from carbohydrates that we take as food. Carbohydrates are broken down into glucose in the stomach and then it is transported by the blood cells to various parts of the body where it reacts with oxygen to produce carbon dioxide (CO2), water (H2O) and energy. But ketogenic diet consist of high-fat, sufficient-protein and low carbohydrate diet which forces the body to use fats rather than carbohydrate to produce energy.
What is the Ketogenic diet?
Ketogneic diet is a strict dietary routine in which a person intake food that are extremely low or with no-carbohydrate, moderate to high protein and fats which puts the body into the state of ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic process in which our body burns fat for energy instead of body’s preferred source, carbohydrates.
What are the advantages of Ketogenic diet?
- It helps to deplete the store of sugar or carbs from your body and eventually force body to break down fat and protein for energy, causing ketosis.
- It may help in various neurological disorders and helps to improve brain function and self-control.
- It could be beneficial for digestive system and results in fewer cravings, a decrease in inflammation, and lower calorie intake among other.
- If followed with accurate and careful tracking, practical goal setting and a balance of right macros then ketogenic diet routine can help you achieve weight loss goals.
How Ketones can help to achieve weight loss goals?
Ketones are the type of molecules that the liver produces by burning fat when the body is running low in carbohydrates (or glucose). This process can occur naturally whenever sugar levels are low or depleted such as during the period of low food intake like fasting, low carbs diet, long duration of intensive exercise, or when you are on ketogenic diet. Following are the process on how the body can start producing ketones:
- You start following your ketogenic diet routine which pushes the body into the state of ketosis.
- The body starts burning fat for energy due to the lack of sufficient glucose in bloodstream.
- You begin to gradually cut down your intake of carbohydrates which makes to body to switch to ketosis.
- In ketosis, the liver starts to make molecules called ketones by burning fatty acids to use as fuel.
Not everyone can follow and maintain a strict diet routine when they are in midst of their journey of ketogenic diet. If you get unintentionally miss your diet routine, you may even get kicked from ketosis in mid which may again take awhile for the body to get back into. This is where exogenous ketone supplements comes into play which can help to ramp up your body to ketosis quicker. It can also help the body in getting used to using ketones for energy and gets you relief from the side effects during the transition.
That does not mean that you should not plan well and stick to it to successfully achieve weight loss goals. The ketogenic diet not only helps to burn excess fat but also helps in hormone regulation, appetite suppression and blood sugar regulation.